Friday, 14 January 2011

Still damp and miserable.

I'm not sure that has stopped raining today but the cloud did lift for a short while this afternoon. I've not been able to bring myself to go out in the rain as I didn't really fancy plodding up a route in the wet snow whilst it rained. When it did clear this afternoon I did manage to see that there is still a reasonable amount of cover above 800m. Reports are that there has been some cornice collapse due to the extra weight of water and mild conditions and avalanche debris has been spotted too. If you do fancy going out this weekend I'd recommend picking some of the easier buttress routes and avoid hanging around under any cornices as the thaw is set to continue. Routes like Dorsal arete, ledge route, No.3 gully buttress and no.2 gully buttress might be worth a look and maybe the west face of Aonach Mor.These obviously depend on the avalanche forecast and conditions at the time but all of this comes from me sat at home looking out the window. Have fun and be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment