Sunday, 1 January 2012

Turned out better than I thought.

I'll admit I wasn't looking forward to getting soaked to the skin again today and the drive into Glen Coe didn't exactly fill me with joy. As Donald and I got out of our cars to get the group from Warwick Uni sorted it was lashing it down with rain and a strong cold wind was driving through the glen but at least we could see it was white on the tops. We made good time up to the corrie floor and spent the day looking at moving around on the snow, Ice axe arrest and lots of other things along the way. We decided to stay in the corrie and stay off the ridges as the wind was quite strong. Today I was working for Abacus Mountain Guides.

New snow lying above about 650m in Glen Coe today, still quite wet though but the freezing level did seem to drop as the day went on and the old snow is starting to firm up again. Al Halewood was climbing and has a report on conditions (and photos as I forgot my camera). It is set to continue being cold on the tops for the next couple of days and I don't think it'll be long before ice is forming as there is so much water about.The turfs not frozen yet and I think with all this fresh snow it will take a while unless it is exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment