Thursday, 31 January 2013

Creag Meagaidh

Day 2 with Ann and after over twenty years of Scottish winter climbing she had never managed to get a route done on Creag Meagaidh. The forecast was for some mixed weather but improving later in the day so we were feeling a bit smug when we walked in, in the sunshine instead of the rain that was forecast. We headed into the inner coire to see what was about and decided to go for South pipe direct. As we geared up the snow started to fall, gently at first but very soon it was coming down at a fair rate but still no sign of the wind.

The wind arrived and snow started pouring done the gullies and we were soon surrounded by sloughs of snow, we opted to traverse over to finish up the pumpkin and avoid and the gullies but this still had a lot of snow coming down it. We topped out into some pretty strong winds and stayed roped up until we were down from the window.

Photo was taken this morning.

Ice has been building and one team did climb the pumpkin but it looked very thin from where we geared up. There is a lot of snow up there now and picking a route with a safe approach might be the hardest thing.

No comments:

Post a comment