Monday, 11 February 2013

North East ridge of Stob Ban, what a gem!


Morning light on Stob Ban.

I was out with Tim today for West Coast Mountain Guides for a day of mountaineering. Tim had done Ledge route and a couple of other easier routes in Scotland and wanted to try something a little harder. After seeing how much fresh snow there was yesterday I decided to stay reasonably low so we headed to Stob Ban's North East ridge at grade II/III. I'd not done the route myself but a couple of trusted friends had raved about it and I can see why. It may be a bit rambling in it's lower half but the upper part of the route had a fine arete and a couple of nice chimneys with that require some wide bridging. If you're looking for a longer route at that grade I can highly recommend it. It stayed clear for us all day today but with a biting wind, there wasn't too much snow about on the move though and the freezing level was higher than forecast.


Tim hanging around on the final section of the arete.

No comments:

Post a Comment